Friday, December 3, 2010

Escape of the Gingerbread Baby















On Tuesday, we all gathered for a class photo.
Then we baked a gingerbread man.

He had two round eyes, a round red nose, a happy mouth, and shiny clothes. He was supposed to bake for eight minutes but one of my friends (I won’t say who) grew impatient and opened the oven door too soon. The gingerbread man escaped, but he was still a baby!

Well that cheeky baby led us on a wild chase, all the while singing, “I am the gingerbread baby, fresh from the pan. If you want me, catch me if you can.”

We chased him and chased him but we could not catch him. Then he ran outside, where even a cat, a dog, three goats, Martha and Madeline, a mama pig, some villagers, and the milk and cheese man couldn’t catch him.

Meanwhile my friend (I still won’t say who) was feeling guilty. So he stayed behind and baked an elaborate gingerbread house, which he put outside on a shelf. Just as the wily fox was closing in, the sassy Gingerbread Baby vanished before his eyes.

Where did he go? Look close. You may see him smiling and winking from his new house!

Who saved the gingerbread baby? I’m not saying, but it may have been one of the Argyle twins!


I am wearing an Argyle sweater
an Argyle sweater
an Argyle sweater
and that’s all I will say!

My thanks and apologies to Jan Brett, author of Gingerbread Baby, from which most of this story was "borrowed".

No comments: