Sunday, July 31, 2011

Love is a nursery rhyme


Were you ever in a bell choir? Ever want to be? Well, today we played the bells (at least my friends did!). Miss Paula brought six different-colored bells with corresponding color-cards. She would hold up a card and you had to play that same-colored bell. Sounds easy. Then it got harder. She held up two cards and you had to play both bells at once. She called it "harmonizing".

And my friends did it. Not only that, they did it well! Miss Paula was amazed. Miss "J" and Miss Bass were amazed. And I was amazed, too. Even my friends were amazed because I think that up to that time they didn't know they could do it!

Einstein was five years old when he first learned to talk. Former slave Frederick Douglass learned to read and write when he was a teenager. Deaf-mute and blind, Helen Keller learned to speak when she was ten, and graduated cum laude from Radcliffe College in 1904. Others have uncovered abilities late in life they never knew they had, such as playing the violin, signing words, or even speaking Japanese. And it's truly a beautiful thing when they use their new-found knowledge to help others.

Some call that love. Composer Arthur Siegel once wrote a song called Love is a Simple Thing. One line goes like this..."Love is a nursery rhyme, old as the tick of time". With that definition we could say that a nursery rhyme is love — for example: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Why not? It's old and it's a nursery rhyme! We all know the beginning: "Twinkle, twinkle, little star…", but how many of us know the next few lines?

When the blazing sun is gone
When he nothing shines upon
Then you show your little light
Twinkle twinkle all the night





I learned to cook when I was in my 70s. I didn't know I could do that either. Just lazy I guess. How about you? Like that nursery rhyme, does your little light shine too?

No comments: