Friday, October 22, 2010

Choices

My friends are allowed to choose. They are almost always allowed to choose. It helps them feel like they have some power and control over what they do. It’s a step in growing up. Everything isn’t planned for them. Making good choices is a skill they will use for the rest of their lives.

Our teachers decide ahead of time what choices they will allow my friends to make. They offer choices only when my friends will truly be allowed to choose. They select two or three things and let a friend choose from them such as:

…“Which book would you like to look at?”
…“Would you like to paint or use crayons today?”
…“Would you like a plain banana or a chocolate-covered banana?" (See above photo.)

How else do they give my friends choices?

…They keep toys on low shelves, so my friends can choose what they want.
…They keep books where my friends can reach them.
…They give my friends free play time to choose and play what they want.






Giving my friends choices also helps them feel good about themselves, their parents, and their teachers…especially when it’s time to go to the NC State Fair!

(YAAAAAAYYY!)






A while back I chose to be a friend to my friends at Frankie Lemmon. One of my inspirations was a man named Dick Parsons. Dick passed away this week. When Dick was eighty years old, he chose to volunteer at Fred Olds Elementary School, where the children and staff became the light of his life for ten years! Farewell, Dick. It was good to know you.



No comments: