Thursday, October 7, 2010

Drums

We like to sing a lot. And we like to play drums.

Why do we sing and play drums?

…I can't see. But I like the sound of the drum…the feel of it. It makes me smile. I can sing and play drums even before I learn to speak. It is something I can do. It makes the pain go away.

…I have autism. I don't know what to say to people. My life is one of involuntary silence. But when I sing with the others or play drums with the others, I can participate like the others. I can express myself like the others. I can behave properly like the others. I hope I'm learning some of these skills for life. Then I can go where life's paths lead me.

…I have special needs and I find that growing up can be slow and difficult. But when I sing and play drums in class I feel more at home. I can think better. And I think it makes it easier for all my other therapies to become more effective. It makes it easier for my teachers and my parents to teach me. They won't let me quit.

…I was born with severe brain damage. But singing or playing the drums in class forces my brain to follow the tempo and melody. It makes me want to sing and move with the music. Best of all—the good part of my brain is learning how to bypass the damaged part. I'm getting more "normal" every day!



That’s why we like to sing a lot. And that’s why we like to play drums.

No comments: