Monday, January 17, 2011

Ice Age

A sheet of ice had covered the world as we slept. Schools were closed and classes at the Frankie Lemmon School were canceled all day as the ice spread throughout Raleigh. It was the top story in the news. "Team coverage” covered it all… how the state was under a winter storm warning, how city trucks were spreading salt brine on the streets, how traffic – and below-freezing temperatures – weren’t moving anytime soon. It was a snow day without snow! I was home with a bad cold but convinced myself: "As long as we don't lose power, we'll be fine."

So what to do today: Act profound? Try to not think about penguins? Create a new language for my sock puppet? I ended up Googling the Internet for famous January 11s of the past. Here are some that I found: in 1970 the Kansas City Chiefs beat the Minnesota Vikings, 23-7 in Superbowl IV; in 1963 the Beatles released "Please Please Me" and "Ask Me Why"; and in 1787 Titania and Oberon, moons of Uranus, were discovered by William Herschel.

Who knew?

And let’s not forget Francis Scott Key, writer of the "National Anthem" of the United States, who died on January 11, 1843! Anyhow, I dreamed of the end of this Ice Age, and of the spring thaw that will surely follow. And with it, no more bunkering down – my friends will again come to school. I look forward to seeing them again.

No comments: