Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Snowman Story

Dear Mister Snowman,
Yesterday morning I made you out of paper and glue. I pasted a carrot nose, hat and buttons on you for decoration. My friends made snowmen, too. Ms White and Kyler concentrated very hard on their snowman and Kaden was so proud of his! Then we put our snowmen up to dry.
…Last night, I dreamed you turned into a real snowman. I dreamed you went out front and stood in the cold.
…When I got off the school bus this morning, there you were! I’m too little to talk, but I can talk with my hands. I said, “Hi, Mr. Snowman,” but you didn’t say a word.
…Then I heard a faint rustling sound. I got close and heard you say, “Little boy, I’m so COLD. I’d like to wear a hat and a scarf to keep me nice and warm.”
…“I can make you warm,” I said.
…“How can you do that?” said the snowman. “You're just a little boy.”
…I gave him my hat and my scarf and said, “I can give you mittens and boots, too.”
…“Don’t be silly,” he said. “I have no hands or legs … and what would I do with them?”
…“You could dance,” I said. I put two little sticks where his hands should be and two others where his legs should be. Then I put mittens and boots on them.
…He smiled his snowman smile and said, “Thanks little boy. Now I’m nice and warm. If it’s right for me to dance, it’s right for you to sing.”
…“Don’t be silly,” I said. “I can’t even talk. I can’t do a lot of things.”
…“You’ve gotta believe! C’mon. I’ll dance—you sing.”

…So I sang and you danced. We had a great time, you and I. Afterwards, he said, “It’s getting warm. I’m going on vacation to a place where there’s still snow. But when it snows next year, I’ll come back.”

…When I got out of school, you were gone. But I dream about you a lot, Mr. Snowman. Who knows? Someday we can sing and dance again. I might even learn to fly!

No comments: