Saturday, July 7, 2012

Don't Worry Be Happy

Don't Worry
It's like a silent movie played on a big screen in my mind. People move their lips but I can't hear them – and I don't want to. I don't understand your world. I'd rather live in mine. But I must work very hard to live in your world and sometimes it makes me feel very anxious. I'm afraid a lot – sometimes very afraid. Of what, I don't know. I really have no deep, dark secrets that can explain my fear. Nothing that can explain my panic attacks.

So I worry a lot.

I think in sounds. I think in touches. I think in pictures. My emotions are simpler than yours – less complex – such as happy, sad, fearful and angry. But fear is my main emotion. I think it's the main emotion in animals, too, such as dogs and cats.

I worry a lot, too.


Be Happy
And then I was the wind, blowing.
Did anyone see my trick?
I found no wrong with anything.

Somewhere a wish was rising,
Perhaps from between my laughing lips.
Why stop turning and turning
When right can be found with everything?

        ~ Tito Rajarshi Mukhopadhyay – autistic poet


It's Simple: Don't worry – be happy!

http://youtu.be/U9tk8eEDsk0

I want you to like me the way I like you
If only you saw things from my point of view.
Your life and my life both run parallel
Yours seems like heaven, mine's sometimes hell.

Whenever you're frustrated at the things that I do
Remember - you could have been me and I could have been you.

       © from "My Name is Charlie", by Brian J. Webb, grandfather of a boy with autism. 2007

Summer viewing (4:21):
Temple Grandin On Mark Zuckerberg and Overcoming Autism

No comments: